Transport for London
Transport for London
Croydon (Greater London)
Salary starts at £36,000 and rises to £41, 840 after 6 month probation period including the attainment of competency within this period. A 24% shift allowance will be added to the base salary above. Circa £51,000.
Overview of role
London Trams (LT) is a busy and vibrant business unit within London Rail responsible for the safe, efficient operation and maintenance of London Tram vehicles. The network, operating in London Borough of Croydon and surrounding areas, currently extends to 28km of track, running 35 vehicles carrying estimated 31m passengers per annum.
As a Fleet Technician you will ensure that the fleet assets of London Trams (LT) including associated assets and interfaces are maintained within established tolerance levels. This will be managed through the systematic inspection and maintenance of the assets, documentation of inspections and maintenance works.
You will be responsible for carrying out all works required to deliver service to meet the business requirements. Additionally you will carry out safety critical activities as outlined in the Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006 (ROGS).
You will be required to work a shifted roster to support the 24/7 operation of the depot environment.
- Ensure all inspection, maintenance, fault finding and upgrade works are undertaken to a high standard in line with defined standards, best practice and within specified timescales.
- Responsible for the safety of own work, worksite, personal safety and that of associated persons.
- Work with the asset management system (Ellipse) to receive work orders, obtain vehicle history data, and generate completed work returns.
- Undertake inspection, maintenance and repair of the Fleet vehicles to ensure that the asset condition is supportive of a safe, reliable and efficient service to passengers.
- Inform the Service Delivery Manager of deficiencies or deterioration in asset condition along with proposed remediation and timescales.
- Operate relevant mechanical plant and equipment as required.
Skills, Knowledge, Experience
Candidates from the following industries will be considered: Ex-Forces Mechanical or Electrical Technicians
Rolling Stock Mechanical or Electrical Technicians who hold a Level 3 NVQ
- Electrical, electronic, or mechanical skills relevant to an engineering maintenance environment (Essential).
- Relevant engineering experience i.e. Rolling stock, Ex Forces, Aviation or Maritime.
- A self-starter capable of working on their own initiative.
- Able to understand maintenance instructions and procedures.
- Ability to be flexible & supportive to ensure team success.
- Good record keeping.
- Ability to work as a part of a highly focussed team.
- Able to manage time and work to tight timescales.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Technical mechanical/electrical qualifications NVQ L3 equivalent or above (Essential).
- Knowledge of safety legislation and quality management procedures.
- Able to explain requirements concisely and influence others of good practise.
- Experienced in the use of standard software packages including Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Project and relevant industry software.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan.
- 29 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays.
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient childcare payments.
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
- To apply please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 17 December 2018 @ 23:59.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit tfl.taleo.net.