HM Armed Forces Veteran Cards are now available to all veterans. It’s a way to prove that you served in the UK military and the card can make it quicker and easier to apply for support as a veteran.

You can currently only apply for a Veteran Card if you have a UK address. Veterans who do not have a UK address will be able to apply later this year.

Who can get an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card? You can apply if you were in the regulars or reserves for the:

  • Royal Navy
  • Army
  • Royal Air Force (RAF)
  • Royal Marines

If you served in another group in the UK armed forces, you may still be able to get a card. You can check when you apply online or when you call to request a postal form.

You cannot apply if you served:

  • in the armed forces of another country
  • alongside the UK armed forces, for example in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force

When you apply, you’ll be asked for:

  • your service number for your last period of service
  • your National Insurance number
  • the approximate year you started and ended your service – it does not have to be exact
  • a recent digital passport style photo, showing your head and shoulders

To apply online, you’ll need to prove your identity using GOV.UK One Login. You’ll be able to create a GOV.UK One Login if you do not already have one.

To do this, you’ll need:

  • an email address
  • photo ID – for example, a UK passport or driving licence