His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh had a close personal relationship with the armed forces.
More than 700 members of the military are involved in the Duke’s funeral today.
Troops from Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army and Royal Air Force will provide ceremonial support at the funeral. This includes units with a special relationship with Prince Philip who will assemble in the Quadrangle at Windsor Castle.
The Royal Navy will provide a piping party to play music as the coffin enters St. George’s Chapel. The Army will provide a Guard of Honour outside the Chapel and fire processional minute guns. The Royal Air Force will line the route of the procession as the coffin moves to the Chapel.
His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh held the following appointments in the UK Armed Forces:
- Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy (2011-2021)
- Captain General Royal Marines (1953 – 2017)
- Colonel of the Grenadier Guards (1975-2018)
- Colonel-in-Chief of The Queen’s Royal Hussars (2002 – 2021)
- Royal Colonel of 4th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (1994 – 2021)
- Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles (1953-1993, 2002-2021)
- Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (1969-2021)
- Colonel-in- Chief of The Intelligence Corps (1977-2021)
- Honorary Air Commodore of RAF Northolt (2012-2021)